Sunday 12 July 2015

Canelé de Bordeaux


May 2014, our Honeymoon destination, Bordeaux, France (and Basque region in Spain later on). 
Not only the wine and fine dining make Bordeaux attractive, but these little delights proud of their presence in the town. 

In a history, as Bordeaux flourished with wine making, they had much yolk left as the egg whites were used for purifying in the wine making. No wasting yolk, added some more cake ingredients, the Canelé were born as sweet treat. Canelé's main ingredients are milk, sugar, yolk and flour, and added vanilla and rum for the rich aroma. It has dark black-brownish caramelised crust, and soft pudding-like inside. 

Me, a freaking home-baker, of course ate a lot of canelé during my few days of stay in Bordeax and gave a much glaze to the show window of each canelé shop. No doubt, I bought a canelé shape for my home baking, the silicone mold. (it's even a de-buyer's!)


Canelé box in Bordeaux

Canelé shop in Saint-Émilion

Canelé shop in Bordeaux
It took me a year to open and use the canelé mold at home, to be honest (it's an excuse, but I was away from home as my work required me outside of Japan) but anyway, it is finally baked, the reminder of honeymoon. 

Voilà! my first attempt. 
It looks a bit deformed as I didn't use beewax as a coating but taste superb, outside is crispy and gooey in the middle as it should be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment